The Road Transport and Safety Agency was established under the Road Traffic Act No. 11 of 2002 and became fully operational in 2006.
The main functions of the Agency are:
- To effectively implement policy on transport, traffic management and road safety
- To effectively and efficiently register motor vehicles and trailers in accordance with the road traffic act
- To timely issue licenses and permits in accordance with the road traffic act
- To implement international protocols and treaties on road transport efficiently
- To pay out such percentages of money into the road fund from revenues collected in a transparent and accountable manner
- To conduct effective road safety education
- To coordinate road safety programs effectively
- To approve and monitor the effectiveness of road safety programs undertaken by anybody, person or institution
- To effectively formulate and conduct programs to promote road safety in conjunction with stakeholders.
- To make contributions towards the cost of programs for promoting road safety undertaken by other authorities or bodies.
- Approve safety activities undertaken by other authorities or bodies.
A safe, inclusive and economically enabling road transport system.
To deliver a safe, efficient, client focused and inclusive road transport system which supports Socio-economic Development.
- The Road Transport and Safety Agency will conduct its business with the following values:
- Service excellence: Endeavour to do better always.
- Accountability: Taking ownership in all situations involved.
- Fairness: Impartial and just treatment or behaviour to others.
- Efficiency: Timely desired work output.
- Confidentiality: Non-disclosure of private Information.
- Integrity: A quality of honesty and strong moral principles.
- Transparency: Openness/confident to share with clarity to others.